[aprssig] spaces in object names

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Thu Aug 13 12:37:40 EDT 2009

On Thu, 13 Aug 2009, Steve Dimse wrote:

> Part of the design of APRS is to be
> able to move other objects. Say you put a tracker in the lead vehicle of a
> marathon, and the tracker dies. You need to be able to take control of the
> symbol and move it manually in response to voice reports of the position of
> LEAD. Otherwise you end up with dead callsigns complicating tactical
> displays. "K4HG" and "K4HG    " need to be the same for the tactical use of
> APRS.

I believe this is what Bob B. has mentioned before.  When I first
heard of this I though it ripe with the possibilities for abuse by
one ham against another, but have come around to liking it for
basically the uses described by Steve above.  Unfortunately I don't
know whether Xastir can make use of this right now.