[aprssig] spaces in object names

Steve Dimse steve at dimse.com
Thu Aug 13 08:39:34 EDT 2009

On Aug 13, 2009, at 7:19 AM, Pierre Thibaudeau wrote:

>>   OK, I still don't understand what you mean by considering all nine
>>   characters significant but you ignore trailing spaces.
>
> Because the trailing spaces are irrelevant.

Nowhere in the spec does it say that. It was assumed, but as Pete
pointed out, when we were discussing trailing spaces he said all nine
characters are significant, and that I "misinterpreted" that to mean
the trailing spaces were significant. Semantics, I don't understand
how all nine characters are significant yet you can ignore trailing
spaces, but now that Pete has clarified what he meant I can move on.

> Remember that the object name
> is fixed length 9 caracters, with space fillers. This means that
> there is
> no object name beeing transmitted as "VE2PRT"  or "VE2PRT  "; they
> both
> are transmitted as "VE2PRT   " (with exactly 3 spaces at the end).

No, but there are item names being transmitted with 1 to 7 characters
(trailing spaces not required but not prohibited), and there are real
stations being transmitted without trailing spaces. That is the issue.

Steve K4HG