[aprssig] spaces in object names

Pierre Thibaudeau ve2prt at sympatico.ca
Thu Aug 13 07:19:44 EDT 2009

Yesterday, 23:09 -0400, Steve Dimse wrote:

>    OK, I still don't understand what you mean by considering all nine
>    characters significant but you ignore trailing spaces.

Because the trailing spaces are irrelevant. Remember that the object name
is fixed length 9 caracters, with space fillers. This means that there is
no object name beeing transmitted as "VE2PRT"  or "VE2PRT  "; they both
are transmitted as "VE2PRT   " (with exactly 3 spaces at the end).

In another posting, you ask:

>    Does any system make automated use of the objects being transmitted
>    on APRS?

I do store APRS data in a database, with object name beeing a primary key.
My system uses object names as is, so yes, multiple consecutive embedded
spaces are significant.

'73 - Pierre
__

Pierre Thibaudeau
VA2RKA/VA2RKB/VE2RIO/VE2RVR/VE2RQF/VE2RTO/VE2LKL/VE2TXD sysadmin