[aprssig] spaces in object names

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) ldeffenb at homeside.to
Wed Aug 12 23:50:48 EDT 2009

Steve Dimse wrote:

> On Aug 12, 2009, at 6:12 PM, Pierre Thibaudeau wrote:
>

> I create an object call "RESCUE 1" at a location where I believe it
> is. Someone else, intending to move it, accidentally hits another
> space, and places "RESCUE  1"(two spaces at a new location. Now the
> map shows two objects that both look the same. Why are there two?
> Which is the more recent position? If I figure out which to kill, how
> can I be sure it is one space or two?
Any client supporting an object KILL should provide a way for the object
to be selected, not just entered, by a user to ensure that all
ambiguities are removed.  Assuming that upper/lower case characters are
allowed, you have the same problem between "RESCUE1" and "RESCUEl" (see
if you can see the difference, there is one).  And that's without
embedded spaces clouding the issue.  And then there's the ever present
"RESCUE0" and "RESCUEO" that may look different in one font, but look
extremely similar in another.  Again, without embedded spaces.

If the spec is trying to prevent ambiguity, then restricting the use of
embedded spaces isn't sufficient.  I believe that suggestions can be
made, but post-specification restrictions, and especially (seemingly
arbitrary) modifications of user-entered (or worse, system transported)
data should never even be considered.  What comes into a system should
be what comes out of a system, no matter what it looks like.

A GIGO (Garbage In Garbage Out) system is acceptable (to me at least, we
live with them every day).  A GIGO (Good In Garbage Out) system is
reprehensible!

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ