[aprssig] spaces in object names

Steve Dimse steve at dimse.com
Wed Aug 12 20:09:02 EDT 2009

On Aug 12, 2009, at 6:12 PM, Pierre Thibaudeau wrote:

> For readability, you can drop the trailing spaces, but there can
> only be
> one object named K4HG because it is necessarily created with 5
> trailing
> spaces, so no confusion. Also note that K5TIT B is in fact "K5TIT  B
> ",
> i.e. with two spaces preceding the "B" so it's in 8th position. This
> may
> look strange, but it's very convenient that it can be done because
> that's
> how repeater callsigns are entered in the Rpt fields of D-Star
> radios. The
> module letter in 8th position and space caracters are used for filler.

Here is a perfect example of the problem. If the embedded spaces are
allowed, you cannot tell how many there are. "K5TIT B" and "K5TIT  B"
are different objects. This has the potential for creating a world of
confusion in a tactical situation.

I create an object call "RESCUE 1" at a location where I believe it
is. Someone else, intending to move it, accidentally hits another
space, and places "RESCUE  1"(two spaces at a new location. Now the
map shows two objects that both look the same. Why are there two?
Which is the more recent position? If I figure out which to kill, how
can I be sure it is one space or two?

Steve K4HG