[aprssig] spaces in object names

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Wed Aug 12 21:51:47 EDT 2009

On Wed, 12 Aug 2009, Steve Dimse wrote:

> Does any system make automated use of the objects being transmitted on APRS?
>
> In other words, would changing the object name from "K4HG   A " to "K4HG A
> " break anything that presently exists (or anything that is planned that
> could not be written just as easily to accept the new format?

I don't think it'd break anything on Xastir.

One would have to look at all the Firenet data to see if there are
multiple spaces in any of it (programs/scripts to generate them were
written by multiple authors).  There may be somebody out there
automatically parsing data out of those which depends on multiple
spaces.  Doubtful, but possible.

Online databases/websites would probably be the most susceptible to
a change.