[aprssig] spaces in object names

Randy Love rlove31 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 12 20:27:26 EDT 2009

Honestly, I think the ambiguity of embedded spaces only comes when a
user's software modifies a field to collapse spaces.

I work for an inventory company. We have to pre-process all sorts of
data for our clients. If we were to do as you suggest and collapse
multiple spaces to a single space within the 'meat' of a field, all
hades would break loose. If you process the field to only remove
trailing spaces, and leave the rest alone, then there won't be a issue
assuming the field is left justified initially. If there appears to be
two "RESCUE 1" objects, then they must be different somehow. If you
want to see the field and differentiate multiple spaces, then display
it with a fixed width font, such as terminal.

DStar breaks the fields down into two parts. First, is the callsign up
to 6, a space seperator, and then the 'port id', which is A, B, C, or
D depending on the band you want to use. If you remove embedded
spaces, it makes the future processing of that object to be handled by
mobiles or software a little more complicated ( not a lot, but a
little ) to parse that object back out and format it for use in the
format needed for DStar. If the object only has trailing spaces
stripped, it's just a matter of padding it back out to 8 or 9 or
however long you need it to be.

My two cents worth.

Randy
WF5X