[aprssig] spaces in object names

Steve Dimse steve at dimse.com
Wed Aug 12 20:18:29 EDT 2009

On Aug 12, 2009, at 7:28 PM, Pete Loveall AE5PL Lists wrote:

> Only one question Bob: When the specification doesn't even HINT at
> embedded spaces as being disallowed, not intended, etc., why do you
> now want to promote ambiguity?

Because when we wrote printable characters, we meant spaces were
disallowed. That was the way we intended it. You can be sure had we
anticipated this, we would have phrased it differently.

The fact that different people define "printable character"
differently makes the original the ambiguous one. We seek now to make
it unambiguous. I can live with allowing a single space in the object
being allowed (optionally collapsing multiple spaces to a single) but
multiple embedded spaces and trailing spaces create too much potential
for misunderstanding in tactical situations.

Steve K4HG