[aprssig] Corrupted Data Pushed into APRS-IS

Steve Dimse steve at dimse.com
Mon Aug 10 18:55:36 EDT 2009

This may have nothing to do with the IGate that sends the data. The
most common cause is digis and IGates with PASSALL ON. This TNC
parameter turns off CRC checking on received packets and forwards
whatever it hears, even if it is garbage. AFAIK the D700 has no such
parameter, but if a nearby digi has it on, the corrupt data may appear
to be coming from an innocent station.

Occasionally people report problems where rebooting the IGate and/or
digis is curative.

There has been a problem like this in the South Florida area for many
months, looking at a findU near page shows the problem clearly

http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/near.cgi?call=K4HG-8

If you dig out an ASCII table you will see many of the variations on
the callsign are single or double bit errors which is diagnostic of
this problem.

Steve K4HG