[aprssig] ARRRGH!!! Somebody Kill This Website !!!

Ray Wells vk2tv at exemail.com.au
Mon Aug 10 17:32:03 EDT 2009

And we thought we had it bad in the Land of Oz when repeaters were first
officially sanctioned in the early 1970's (back up timers for the back
up timers). Repeaters were new and they were nervous.

It surprises me that our regulators chose to not follow the UK with
regard to amateur regulations, when we followed the UK for so long with
so many other things.

We have no restriction on unattended digi/packet operations provided the
tx is fitted with a Watch Dog Timer - the timer in the TNC is sufficient
in this regard. The only time our regulator (ACMA) might get edgy is if
someone set up a digi (repeater) at a commercial site and it was brought
to their attention. For that type of installation we are required to
obtain a repeater licence and the digi (repeater) frequency is
"assigned" (from the WIA bandplan) after much number crunching for
intermods.

Maybe the UK regulators need a copy og the VK regs to show them just how
unnecessarily restrictive UK regs are.

Ray vk2tv