[aprssig] Maryland, NoVa Voice Alert

Theodore A. Antanaitis WA7ZZB at arrl.net
Sun Aug 9 18:33:10 EDT 2009

I question the appropriateness of choosing the National Simplex Calling
Frequency for this application. If this operation were to spread into areas
where I operate, I would indeed complain long and loud about it to whomever
would listen and to those who would not.

It might be hard to believe (to those on this list) that there are two meter
operations that do not involve APRS.  I, for one, often monitor and call on
146.52 while mobile for simplex calls. If a high power, wide area coverage,
cross band repeater comes up on that frequency announcing calls to a
repeater frequency in a 'pager-like' manner, it will render the frequency
useless for simplex applications. Unless the simplex operators engage their
T100 tone, the repeater will likely not hear any on-going activity and
walk-over legitimate simplex operation. If the simplex operators engage
their T100 tones, then their transmissions will be rebroadcast on UHF
unnecessarily. A lose-lose situation.

The 146.52 frequency has been used for Simplex Calling for many years. If
you have not heard activity on it perhaps you should listen a bit.

Please, strongly consider using a different frequency other than 146.52 for
this application. Preferably in the repeater sub-band which would appear to
be more suited for 'paging' applications.

73
Ted WA7ZZB