[aprssig] RADIO paths in APRS Servers

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Fri Aug 7 10:14:30 EDT 2009

And more stumping if I may:

> this does not occur in all instances
> as the digi operator is the one who
> decides whether call substitution on
> a digi's packet occurs or not.

A sad situation, but true.  And we must try to get to these
rogue sysops and see if we cannot get them to adopt the New-N
paradigm and make the APRS network work consistently everwhere..

> The problem is that depending on where
> you are and how the digi op configures
> his digi, you may not get this substitution.

And we need to all be vigilent and try to fix this.  This is ham
radio, where we strive to understand how our radios work. APRS
is not some kind of consumer service intentionally dumbed down
for the appliance operator.  Everyone needs to be looking at
these packets occasionally (now that they are traceable) and see
where our network needs fixing... And fix it.

Soap-box off

Bob, WB4APR