[aprssig] RADIO paths in APRS Servers

Randy Love rlove31 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 7 10:04:01 EDT 2009

There is nothing the the APRS spec that says you cannot direct a
packet via a given path. Most digi continue to digi via their call or
other unique identify ( such as HOTSPR or MTMAG ) along with the
generic digi alias of WIDE. If configured properly, a digi will insert
it's call or special alias in place of the WIDEn-N that it uses. But,
this does not occur in all instances as the digi operator is the one
who decides whether call substitution on a digi's packet occurs or
not.

Taking a look at a recent packet for my mobile station WF5X-9:
 WF5X-9>APOT2A,W8FSM-3,VE3KSR*,WIDE3-1,qAR,KC2HWB:!/8vF59NF#>D!G/A=000746
12.4V 57F

We can determine this:
The path used is WIDE3-3 ( this is considered abusive in some areas )
and the first two hops of this packet went thru W8FSM-3 and VE3KSR,
leaving one more hop ( WIDE3-1 ). This was ported into the APRS-IS by
KC2HWB after being hear from VE3KSR ( that why it has a * after it ).

The problem is that depending on where you are and how the digi op
configures his digi, you may not get this substitution. The best way
to determine a specific path is to observe the local network and
determine which stations are where and available by their posting to
the APRS network. Ideally, you would want to look at it via RF from
your location to see what is available to you.

The reason of the generic alias WIDE and now WIDEn-N is so that as a
mobile travels, it does not need to reconfigure for the local area.
Since APRS is an unconnected network, the need to hard wire digi names
is more of a hinderance than help. Unlike connected mode packet, where
you have to take the same path each time, APRS can digi via different
routes on each packet to get to the same location. Use of a generic
alias facilitates this functionality that helps make ARPS flexible in
message and information delivery.

73,
Randy
WF5X