[aprssig] EchoLink APRS-IS Ojbects Mothballed re re

Keith VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Tue Aug 4 20:51:11 EDT 2009

Randy VE7PGE wrote...

> Hi Keith, but isn't Xastir a Linix based program? I am almost sure
> that these two hams in Vancouver run Xastir, Dave can't remember his 2
> letter call but lives in Kerisdale west side...

Didn't know you were on the APRS SIG! And what's wrong with running it
on Linux though - hi!? It was originally developed for Linux, but I
understand there is a Windows version as well. One day if I ever have
some spare time, I'll take a look at it. In the meantime, I've been a
happy UI-View user for about 5 years or so.

> and his buddy with palm tree in the downtown east side.

Ah, so that's the guy in downtown Vancouver with the IOTA (Islands On
the Air) symbol! I discourage beaconing disinformation like that. The
symbol should really represent what the station is.

> So what's the deal with the mothballing of objects?

Someone was working on a program to round up the status of EchoLink
nodes and make them available to be gated to RF. For various reasons,
the project was cancelled or put on hold. There is a bit of a push now
to get static objects out there at least showing where they are and
their frequencies. As opposed to static objects, the ones created by the
IRLP APRS status script are show the node's status live and "up to the
minute".

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH