[aprssig] FW: EchoLink -> APRS Message receiving

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Tue Aug 4 15:20:26 EDT 2009

> However, anyone using EL with a Radio via
> a repeater has no access to the chat box.

Thanks for the feedback...  Because that's what I want to
change...

> Only the "Shack Potatoes you disdain
> using EL with a mic/headset will
> see the chat box, normally.

Shack operators are very valuable for controlling nets on an
EchoLink conference.  That is what we needed on the Appalachian
Trail attempt.  We had W3GXH in his shack on EchoLink taking the
checkins, and keeping an on-line eye on all the resources
available to him on line both in the EchoLink system and the
on-line APRS and the weather etc...

If APRS messaging was integrated with Echolink CHAT, then the
mobiles out at the various nodes can check-in to the net (via
chat text) or indicate they have traffic or a comment via an
APRS ==> EL-chat message.  This is much more efficient than the
net control having to ask for checkins, one at a time via the
various repeaters including the very long turn-around delays..

> Yeah, I have a Echolink -L here and IF I am in the shack,
etc., I may
> see it. But normally the EL computer has on screen.

But if someone is using that EchoLink link out on RF in a
mobile, this inteface would send the chat text out to the APRS
radio front panel...  Very handy...

For an Echolink Repeater tied into a conference, it would extend
that chat out on APRS to everyone in the local area too, so
everyone could be fully integrated into the conversation going
on.

> Robert Bruninga wrote:
> > EchoLink Chat <==> APRS Messaging Application needed:
> >
> > APRS ==> EchoLink Chat:
> >
> > While trying to use EchoLink conference nodes on-air for
nets,
> > and a variety of applications (such as coordination among
the 14
> > Mountain Top stations on the Appalachian Trail Golden Packet
> > Event), there is a need for a RF user to use the APRS
messaging
> > built into this radio, to send text to the CHAT window of
all
> > users in that connection.
> >
> > EchoLink Chat ==> APRS Mobile:
> >
> > Conversly, there is a need for an EchoLink user to use his
chat
> > window to a distnat station on an Echolink Repeater or Link
> > station and have that text deliverd to the front panel of
that
> > users mobile APRS radio.
> >
> > Apparently... This might not have to be implemented within
> > EchoLink... I got this from the EchoLink author:  "There are
> > indeed "hooks" in the EchoLink API, which developers can use
> > interface other programs with EchoLink.  A number of add-on
> > projects have sprung up over the years."
> >
> > So, does someone want to investigate an application that
will do
> > this cross-connection between the APRS mobile RF user and
> > EchoLink chat window?  This will  facilitate the
coordination
> > and use of Amateur Radio in the field on local RF links into
the
> > global APRS text messaging and global EchoLink voice
systems..