[aprssig] iphone gps woes

Wes Johnston, AI4PX wes at ai4px.com
Tue Aug 4 03:19:30 EDT 2009

Now comes the fun part.  Looking into the first approximation of my Iphone's
position, I'm left to assume that the phone company who owns the local tower
(Farmers Telephone Coop) has programmed the wrong sector into this
particular installation.  It's kinda funny.  Now how do I tell them about
it?  I'm expecting lots of dumb looks.   I plotted my position on google
maps, the reported first approximation and the location of the cell tower.
I'm exactly 180° on the other side of my reported position.  The range is
very close to being right on my location.. if the azimuth was correct it
would literally plot me 100 meters from my actual location.  I'm pretty
impressed for a time difference of arrival measurement.

This also gets me wondering.... if the phone companies are smart enough to
figure out the location of 100 phones who all drop a call at the crest
of the same hill and figure out that they might need to change the tilt of
one of the sector antennas.  Nawww... they get to claim an extra minute on
you while you reestablish the call.  ;-)

Wes
---
Hitler gave great speeches too!