[aprssig] Cheap HTs vs. FCC Certification

Steve Noskowicz noskosteve at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 3 23:36:51 EDT 2009

--- Keith VE7GDH wrote:

> Bob K8YS wrote...
>
> > Trouble is, they are not FCC Certified and if someone in the US
> > ordered one, it might not get delivered.
>
> They are available from Argent Data which in the US...
> https://www.argentdata.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=74
> ..."these radios are FCC Part 90 certified". I understand that
> is for "private land mobile service" in the US.
> Can amateurs not use commercial equipment on amateur frequencies in the US?
> 73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH

Unless someone can show the Part 97 section that contradicts this:

YUP.

Amateurs in the US can build their own equipment which can meet no specs (harmonics may have some restricions - too lazy to look @ Part 97 right now) nor requires any certifications.  We can also use commercial equipment on amateur frequencies, regardless of which service it was originally certified for --- old military stuff, 2-Way radios, Marine radios, commercial airliner HF radios (frequently used by corp jet and airliner pilots - one of the latest QSTs has such an article).
 Import logistics and the way they get into the country (isn't that redundant) may cause problems, however, if the import folks handling them are having a bad hair day.

Though most commercial ham equip is Part 15 certified, there may be some sticky point there if they don't have a Part 15 sticker (but how would the govt folks know it is for a ham, nor for that matter if it does require Part 15; a strange technical issue).  Having run a cert lab you'd think I know this, but I didn't do Amateur equipment.

-- 73, Steve, K9DCI
  http://k9dci.home.comcast.net/