[aprssig] OpenAPRS

Joseph C. Bender n8xre at benderhome.net
Mon Aug 3 07:51:26 EDT 2009

Steve Dimse wrote:
> Anyone know where OpenAPRS went to? I've been working on my links from
> the iPhone tracking page and wanted to include OpenAPRS, but it seems to
> be gone all day...

Steve,

The listed DNS servers for openaprs.net appear to be offline as of this
morning at 7:30AM EDT, which would generally explain the unreachability
of the same.  As the webservers for their registrar-reseller and DNS
provider (infodns.com) are also off-line, this is not surprising, and
the text from Google's cache of their site provides the following:

"We are no longer accepting new registrations or renewals. To keep your
domain active please transfer it to another registrar as soon as
possible. Our suggestion would be www.godaddy.com, thank you."

All that being said, it seems that the OpenAPRS folks are in a bit of a
jam, registrar and DNS wise.  As such, I'm offering to help them get
back on their feet with this.  The domain was registered through
OpenSRS.net, of which I am a reseller.

I will also will offer, at cost, to transfer their domain to my reseller
account (as I can grab it through OpenSRS.net rather quickly) and
provide emergency DNS hosting at no cost for them if required until
something more permanent can be worked out.

I'd do this directly and privately, but I don't have off-domain contact
info for them yet.

So if one of the OpenAPRS folks who is authorized to discuss such
matters wants to see if there's something I can do to help, they can
contact me at this address here (n8xre@) or jcbender at bendorius dot
com, and I'll see what I can do to help.

--
Joseph C. Bender, N8XRE
Bendorius Consulting, LLC