[aprssig] VA Beach Digi?

Bob Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Sun Aug 2 22:03:24 EDT 2009

> I also have a APRS node in Virginia Beach
> at 550' with an output of 15 watts....
> This is the same location that our friend
> Jason (KE4NYV) and my former working
> partner had his node in Virginia Beach, VA.

Wow, that is a fantastic altitude in that area.  ON satellite view, I see KN4KL-5 that looks like it might be on top of a 40+ story building.

If you don't mind some kibitzing from afar...

It looks like it is a KPC-3 so it has the capability to support the full New-N Paradigm with a few changes...

1) It has PHG0000.  At 500 feet, and 15 watts, that should be PHG2630

2) It has no recommended PATH limit.  It shows Wn, when in that area, I am sure it should be W2.  This helps educate users as to the proper path to use in that area.

3) It shows "Wn, VAn digipeater...".  but it is obviously a digi, and that splits on the 10x10x.. mobile displays.  It is better to have "W2, VAn-N Va Beach..." wihch will show as

W2, VAn-N
 VA Beach

4) looking at stations-near, I dont see any of the 3 recommended local info objects such as:

a) The locally receommended Voice Repeater
b) The local OPEN Echolink or IRLP node
c) another of a or b...

Without those objects, we are missing a great opportunity to inform visitors and local mobiles of how to communicate in the area...
See www.aprs.org/fix14439.html

GOod luck, and it is sure nice to see all the activity in Norfolk area!

Bob, WB4APR