[aprssig] Nuvi 350 still on sale thru the end of Aug 09 WEB Only

Scott Miller scott at opentrac.org
Sun Aug 2 11:04:33 EDT 2009

Some of the handheld units from Garmin support custom symbols.  If we
can ever get Garmin to do that with the automotive units, even if it's
limited to a dozen or two dozen symbols, that'll help a lot.

The D700 won't display symbols on the G5 because it doesn't parse the
symbols and only puts out GPWPL sentences.  The G5 distinguishes between
stationary and moving stations, but that's it.

As for the GTRANS, it's not a documented feature but you can actually
plug it in to a KPC-3 and have it parse MONITOR mode packets.  It's not
thoroughly tested, but it seemed to be working.  If there's enough
interest I could extend that to work with more TNCs and maybe support
messaging, but I'm hesitant to turn a simple, zero-configuration device
into something that needs a 30-page manual and a support forum.

Scott
N1VG