[aprssig] Linux aprsdigi configuration

John Gorkos jgorkos at gmail.com
Wed Apr 29 16:23:46 EDT 2009

On Wednesday 29 April 2009 13:33:22 Curt, WE7U wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Apr 2009, John Gorkos wrote:
> > Is anyone running Alan Crosswell's aprsdigi code on a "production" wide
> > area digipeater with WIDEN routing?  If so, would you be willing to post
> > your configuration files?  We're looking at setting up some
> > embedded-linux Digis in North Georgia, and wanted to stand on the
> > shoulders of giants with regard to configuration.
>
> Are you sure you don't want to run Digi_NED there?  For a while
> there was a Digi_NED digi right in the heart of Seattle.  That digi
> is no longer on the air, but I think there might be others to the N
> and S still running.  It's highly configurable and lets you do a lot
> of cool stuff.

It's still under consideration, but I was hoping to go with standard pre-
packaged debian packages, versus getting into a DIY compile/install/config
cycle.
  Unfortunately, neither package is still under active development.  I briefly
considered JavAPRSrv, but 1) I'm using SBCs with small RAM footprints, and
don't really have room for a Java VM, and 2) I'm morally opposed to Pete's
closed-source approach to software.  This history of APRS software is littered
with good software that was abandoned by the author, even after being paid to
develop and maintain it.