[aprssig] Another digi bites the dust

Dave Baxter dave at uk-ar.co.uk
Tue Apr 28 08:14:53 EDT 2009

Sign of the times.  It happens.

We've been suffering this sort of thing for some years now here in the
UK.   As a result, several voice repeaters, nodes etc have gone for
good.   Even GB3VHF our main VHF beacon is having to relocate after many
years on one site.

The cooperation that commercial site owners had in the past given for
Amateur useage on many sites has long gone, since the arrival of
coprorate bean counters en masse, who cant see past the end of their
noses.

Oh, and our so called "licence for life" doesnt help matters either.
No third party traffic at all from home stations (attended or otherwise)
without a Notice of Variation, so many home APRS digi's have gone too.
We never had many (if any) "Big Hilltop" digi's, so what network we had
is slowly falling apart at the seams.

Then there is the increasing level of digital noise polution, that the
EMC rules are supposed to prevent.   In practice, big business just
ignores it and carries on.

:-(

Dave G0WBX.