[aprssig] AL, GA, TN, VA APRS network Reliability

Rich Garcia k4gpsc at gmail.com
Sun Apr 19 10:29:16 EDT 2009

Yes it did appear that coverage in that area was very good, there were a few
small holes along I-40 here and there but nothing much to speak of, very
small. I got quite a few packet digi's out from the Bristol Motor Speedway
parking lot.

Again having driven 1400 miles in a few days mostly on major highways in
TN/NC/SC/VA/WV the only holes I saw were in 2 rather large areas of
Asheville/Cherokee NC, then over where TN/VA/WV/NC meet. Some spots are
serviced from very distant digi's hit and miss but very few.

Bob... let me let you in on a secret, there is something called the US
Postal Service. You see they use these little square things called stamps
that let something called letters moved about all over the world. If qrz
does not show an e-mail address try to google his callsign, if that brings
back nothing I'd suggest going old school and contacting that ham with a
letter. He may just be unaware of the digi not doing very much or not having
a clue as to it's real need. There are dozens of digi's out there, probably
many more that are plugged in to "help" the community but with no interest
from the SYSOP in APRS himself so he/she has no idea of what is going on or
any of the changes. It may just be a matter of contacting the person and
giving them a helping hand.

Rich