[aprssig] Looking for APRS hiker on May 2 for Maryland Appalachian Trail

Jack Spitznagel frawg at frawg.org
Fri Apr 10 11:33:53 EDT 2009

Hi Joseph,

Personal  experience: I have done it in the past, but speaking from
point of view of a highly conditioned 50+ year-old in preparation for a
Philmont Scout Ranch 80 miler a few years ago: Only the DC trail runners
club and similar folks are capable of covering the MD section in a
reasonable 1 day period at a very brisk walk. Fannypacks trail mix and
water as only burden is reasonable provided there are refresh stations,
but adding 5 to 10 pounds of radio/GPS and extra battery plus other
material would add insult to inevitable injury.

With light overnight packs, we found it most humane to use the PATC camp
area near Annapolis rocks just north of I-70/US-40 as an overnight
midpoint, so don't feel bad about the 20 mile limit. Personally I have
serious reservations about rallying down the last hill off Potomac
Heights to US-340 at twilight! If you want to exchange notes on this we
can go off group and chat. I have some ideas about how to split the job up.

Jack Spitznagel, KD4IZ
Parkton, MD