[aprssig] Xastir Internet->RF configuration

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Mon Apr 6 11:21:28 EDT 2009

On Sun, 5 Apr 2009, Greg D. wrote:

> I am in a hole, but even so, the Igates are pretty widely spread
> out here, and there is only one that can hear me - K6FGA-1, about
> 23 mi to the north.

Igate or digi?

> Anyway, I tried the suggestions, but I don't think the Tx side is
> working right.  If I tell Xastir to "Transmit now", I see the
> TNC's PTT LED come on, and I hear the usual braaap of a packet,
> but my D7 doesn't display anything.  Shouldn't I see my Xastir
> station show up?  I also tried sending a message to the D7 (which
> is configured to automatically acknowledge it), but the D7 doesn't
> do anything.  Is this an audio quality issue with the TNC,
> perhaps?  Or, is it sending a packet that the D7 ignores?

Could be TXD or it could be that you're desensing the D7 when you
transmit.

> Also, if I send a position report from the D7, at a low enough
> power that the real digis don't hear it, I see my D7 show up on
> Xastir's map and on aprs.is, as usual.  But I don't hear it
> repeated back out over the air (no PTT, no audio).  Is that
> expected?   (I do hear it from K6FGA-1 when I crank up the power,
> and get the re-assuring "My Position" display on the D7.)

That is expected.  Xastir is not normally set up to be a digi, but
does have the capability to be a WIDE1-1 fill-in digi if need be.
For that mode you must use either AGWPE or a TNC in KISS mode,
otherwise you don't have control over the correct bits to effect a
digipeat.

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer