[aprssig] Xastir Internet->RF configuration

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Sun Apr 5 13:52:04 EDT 2009

On Sun, 5 Apr 2009, Keith VE7GDH wrote:

> However, you did state that you were "in a bit of a hole" so perhaps you
> won't trigger any low level fill-in digis. However, it would still be
> good practise to change the path to WIDE2-1.

Agreed.  You can leave the other two paths there empty.  If you have
more than one path listed in the three slots Xastir will round-robin
the path between them each time you transmit.  Empty slots are
ignored so you can enter paths in any of the three slots you wish.

Also, for the Igate->RF path I don't think anybody has answered that
particular question yet:  That's the path your station will insert
for any packets you gate to RF.  Perhaps set that to "WIDE2-1" as
well, assuming there are digi's that can hear you direct.

If you're seriously in a hole where very few can hear you it may be
worthwhile to insert a specific callsign into both your "Path 1" and
"Igate -> RF" paths.  For instance "K7ABC,WIDE2-1" if "k7abc" hears
you well and can give you a hop to the first digipeater.  The
downside is that particular station has to be always online else
you won't be heard anymore.  To avoid that case you can enter a
"Path 2" and/or a "Path 3" as well with additional callsigns and
round-robin them, but there's no such facility for the Igate->RF
path.  It's better if you can hit a digi direct with a generic
callsign (like WIDE2-1) to avoid the problem altogether and
auto-adapt to changing conditions.

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer