[aprssig] Data in APRS-IS

Jason KG4WSV kg4wsv at gmail.com
Fri Apr 3 12:46:11 EDT 2009

On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 11:36 AM, Rich Garcia <k4gpsc at gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't know if that was a question or a comment Jason but I was under the
> impression that it was common to have it SOMEWHERE in the packet itself but
> not a LAW.

It was a statement.  As you say it is common to put it somewhere in
the packet (I do, as that seems the easiest way to handle ID
requirements), but again as you say it is perfectly legal in the US to
use CW to ID and never put a callsign in the packet.  The transmitting
station could also TX a single packet with its callsign every 10
minutes (direct, no hops) and meet legal requirements.

I can see where Sergej made his assumptions in filtering, but
unfortunately those reasonable assumptions aren't valid on our global
APRS-IS network.

-Jason
kg4wsv