[aprssig] APRS & Voice -- WAS Re: Frank Bauer, KA3HDO

Earl Needham needhame1 at plateautel.net
Fri Apr 3 08:52:11 EDT 2009

Steve Dimse <steve at dimse.com> wrote:

> And of course, if took them a year to figure it out a few thousand FM
> hams had moved within 200 kHz of "their" territory, it couldn't have
> been causing much trouble!
>
> Steve
    That's exactly right, but when they found out where APRS was, they
immediately assumed the worst.  But things seem to have quieted down and
everybody does their own thing now.

    I'm still wishing APRS was on some other band where voice isn't so
common.  Having a data burst on 144.39 every few minutes doesn't work
really well if you're trying to operate on 146.52 FM OR 144.200 USB.
I'm starting to investigate the possibility of setting up on 70 cm at
9600 BPS -- it may not work out, but the old saying still applies --
"nothing ventured, nothing gained".

    7 3
    Earl

--