[aprssig] 9600 APRS

Wayne Sanderson whsander at gmail.com
Thu Apr 2 22:35:12 EDT 2009

I can see how a data burst with a rapid update on the text screen of a
D7/D700/D710, HamHud, etc, would diminish the experience for those who watch
that. I am more of a map screen watcher while driving, at first years ago on
a Garmin GPS III+, later an E-Trex Legend, and now on an AvMap G5. The data
burst would have the opposite effect on my G5- It would zip new positions to
the GPS for the screen objects quickly, and clear up the channel for non
routine position packets, such as text messaging and such...

And maybe there is little or no text traffic nowadays not only because of
the dumb trackers but because of a lack of interest. Maybe we are jaded and
just a bit bored. Something new and useful from the old rig might generate a
bit of interest. 9600 UHF APRS and some neat-o features like what the NWAPRS
guys in the Seattle area have cooked up might be just the ticket.