[aprssig] HT/mic DTMF standards

Mark Cheavens mcheavens at usa.net
Tue Sep 30 16:52:20 EDT 2008

I hate text messaging.....But.... It should be the same as on a cell
phone. That is what will be expected by "younger" hams.

J = 5
K = 55
L = 555

That is the way I am used to it, and for inter operability it should
be the same as MOST telephones.

7 = PQRS7
9 = WXYZ9

The users of THD7's and the like (including myself) would just have
to learn to deal with it. We should get Kenwood to change the
Microphones on the models with cords!

Without a display (as in my cell phone) I would NEVER be able to keep
up with sending a message via DTMF like this (That is me).

I think another issue is whether to have punctuation or not, and
upper AND lower case, or just one or the other.

Cells phones normally try to be intelligent about this, but rarely
are. I don't see how we could EVER use iTAP without a display!!!

Mark Cheavens
KC5EVE