[aprssig] APRS Open Spec

Steve Dimse steve at dimse.com
Sun Sep 28 12:38:56 EDT 2008

On Sep 28, 2008, at 11:12 AM, Ron McCoy wrote:

> As I said, in part of my post that you elided, "I have no interest in
> stealing anyone's IP."

I believed that then and now. I didn't think you were deliberately
suggesting violating the copyright. I assumed you were simply unaware,
and sought nothing more that informing you that you needed to secure
the permission of the copyright holders.

> I don't think anything about my post was provocative.

The first one, no. Nor was there anything provocative in my reply, in
its entirety:

"Do not forget that the APRS Spec is copyrighted. The only assigned
right is for non-commercial copying. You would need the APRS Working
Group's permission for this use."

All of that is true and simply informative. I didn't say you couldn't,
I said you needed permission, which is absolutely true. Somewhere you
seem to take this as says all sorts of things that were not in these
three sentences, like what you wanted to do was "commercial copying",
and that I was saying you couldn't write your own spec. You launched
into a tirade, and that is where things took a left turn!

Steve K4HG