[aprssig] APRS Open Spec

Steve Dimse steve at dimse.com
Sun Sep 28 10:51:25 EDT 2008

On Sep 28, 2008, at 8:43 AM, Ron McCoy wrote:

> Thanks, Steve.
>
> Can you tell me how this would be construed as commercial copying?

It isn't and I didn't say it was. Editing and publishing a changed
document is what is not "non-commercial copying". Copy means copy, not
edit and disseminate.

> As far as I've seen, there is no longer an  APRS Working Group.

The fact that a group is not active does not make the group's
intellectual property public domain. I resigned from the group prior
to it becoming inactive, so I make no claim to the spec. Bob has a
very definite stake in it though. If he gave permission for you to do
this, and no members of the APRS WG objected after being notified,
then I'd feel comfortable if I were the one publishing. Without Bob's
blessing, and the chance for any other members of the copyright
holding organization to object, I would never allow something like
this on a web site I was legally responsible for.

> Last, if, in fact, the spec is encumbered in a way that prevents open
> comment and the ability for the community to work together to make
> it a
> living, evolving spec, isn't that an outstanding reason to write an
> open
> spec?

No one said you cannot write your own spec. I simply said that the
current APRS Spec cannot be edited on a wiki without the copyright
holder's permission. If you don't like the way the latest Tom Clancy
novel ends, are you allowed to copy it, change the ending, and publish
it? Even if you just correct a misspelling, are you allowed to
republish it? Even for free? Of course not.

> A copyright applies to a specific work. An open spec could be written
> from scratch that could be in the Creative Commons.

That is NOT what was being proposed. The proposal was posting the
copyrighted spec on a wiki and editing it. That is a VERY different
thing from writing an open spec from scratch!

I never said anything about writing your own spec. Personally, I'd
consider it a waste of time, because without Kenwood (controlled
through Bob) and other APRS software authors agreeing to accept and
implement any changes you make, it would not amount to much more than
mental masturbation, but have fun!

Steve K4HG