[aprssig] No More Mobile APRS In California

Dave Haynes dave at ep90.com
Fri Sep 26 04:42:44 EDT 2008

Andy Cunningham wrote:

> I wonder if they've written up the small print in anything like the UK
> where to make the ban specific to mobile phones they've specified the
> frequencies the device transmits on in the legislation.  Here, I can be
> fined for holding a mobile phone in my hand when the engine is running,
> even if the vehicle is stationary.  But I can use a radio mic, or hand
> held radio and can only be stopped if it can be proven I'm not in
> control of the vehicle.

Any links to the actual wording of the legislation Andy? I'm aware of
the exemption for two way radio, but I've never seen the actual wording
and wasn't aware of the frequency limitations.
The DfT guideline documents I found on their website are the usual
nonsense, presuming that a mobile telephone is not a two way radio, and
are useful only to indicate where useful cuts in civil service staffing
could be made. :-)

Dave
G1TVL

--
Dave Haynes
<dave at ep90.com>

"When buying a used car, punch the buttons on the radio. If all the
stations are rock and roll, there's a good chance the transmission is
shot." - Larry Lujack