[aprssig] APRS CQ - prefix stripped off by server

Steve Noskowicz noskosteve at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 23 23:36:37 EDT 2008

RE:  That is why you need 3 (actuallly 4)CQ's...

Yikes!   Yea...hit and run.   I think Bob musta' chuckled here.

   Though Bob explained it, if this still confuses you, remember that the message *to* the server has a *prefix* consisting of  "CQ" followed by the group name.  Pete describes the CQ as one of two possible server COMMANDS.  The other COMMAND is "U" for unregister/unjoin.
   The group-name in today's case, happens to also be CQ.  So the message prefix, which the server truncates, is "CQ CQ".
Therefore "CQ CQ CQ CQ message" gets forwarded as "CQ CQ message".  Thus, you know it is a CQ to the CQ group.

Knowing this, you can customize it.  You loose the fact that is it s CQ, but in some cases this may be ok:
"CQ JOTA TO: ALL SCOUTS message..." > > "TO: ALL SCOUTS message..."

Just a thought...

Others:
Still not certain when and to whom those "# messages sent to nnn" messages go to.  Looking at findu, I think when someone joins they get it.
  It's not clear when the "0 messages sent to nnnn"  gets sent.  Also dup messages can make it to the server, but are not shown on Findu - these can also cause the server to send the "too soon" message.

--
As Dad used to say "74.  One better than anyone else", Steve, K9DCI