[aprssig] APRStt (APRS touchtone DTMF)

djhuff at rockwellcollins.com djhuff at rockwellcollins.com
Fri Sep 19 16:24:08 EDT 2008

I have a question,
How are you going to differentiate the DTMF tones used for this from the
repeater control DTMF tones?
1. Most repeater owners who use DTMF control guard them very carefully.
One wrong tone can cause the repeater to go crazy, meaning you might have
make a trip to a mountain top or restricted access building.  They are not
universal, and many poeple will be suspicious if you ask for them out of
the blue.
2. Some repeaters strip DTMF off, others do not, it depends on the
controller. If I listen I will hear lots of DTMF tones, but no voices
identifying on a repeater.
3. How will I know if a repeater in an area uses this?  Is this going to
be in ARRL repeater directory, or sent on APRS?   I don't think you want
to just blindy try sending DTMF on a repeater without asking a local user.

Just thought I would Ask,
David

"Robert Bruninga" <bruninga at usna.edu>
Sent by: aprssig-bounces at lists.tapr.org
09/19/2008 02:42 PM
Please respond to
bruninga at usna.edu; Please respond to

<aprssig at lists.tapr.org>
cc

Subject
Re: [aprssig] APRStt (APRS touchtone DTMF)

> > APRStt coming soon!
>
>>  but this will be a new version that
>> runs under windows using only the sound
>> card for both DTMF decoding and Voice-Back synthesis.
>
> Ehhh...is this going to be available on platforms
> that are suitable for unattended operation? (sigh)

See www.aprs.org/aprstt.html

Bob, WB4APR