[aprssig] Voice Repeater Frequency Objects

Earl Needham needhame1 at plateautel.net
Thu Sep 18 08:38:49 EDT 2008

Jeff N0JUH wrote:
> Hi Earl -
>
> Are you reading the thread, or just uncomfortable with conflict? :)

	Both!

> Maybe Jason is just trying to understand what Bob means, and is feeling
> frustrated with the difficulty of understanding the spec.  If I were
> writing aprs software, I would certainly be frustrated.  Here's my take
> on it:

	I agree, the spec isn't really keeping up with the abilities.  I'd be
frustrated, too -- the spec can be found, but with this addendum and
that, it might be difficult to figure out what the CURRENT spec is.

	It just seems to me that I'm seeing Bob say that Xastir is broken
because of where it puts the A= string for altitude, and Jason says
Xastir isn't broken, the Kenwood rigs are and everyone else is suffering
because of Bob's insistence that everyone conform to what the Kenwood
rigs require.

	Fortunately, Xastir is current and can be updated/modified to anything
necessary.  Not so with UI-View, which is one of the most popular
programs for APRS, but one that Bob continuously runs down because it
can't be changed.

	I believe I have just reduced several days' arguing to two paragraphs!  <G>

	7 3
	Earl

--
KD5XB -- Earl Needham