[aprssig] Q: D700 Packet Monitor screen

Steve Noskowicz noskosteve at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 16 21:09:06 EDT 2008

  [I bought my D700 used 5-6 years ago.  So, TNC settings could have been changed.]

Been wanting to ask some of this for a long time.

My PMON screen shows more than just received APRS packets.
 Here's what I see.

 cmd:The received APRS packets.
 cmd:Time and date stamps.
 cmd:NMEA sentences  $GPGGA and $GPRMC  (A Garmin V is hooked up)
   Followed by the string "GPS TEXT was $GPGGA" (or $GPRMC as appropriate)

For a little while today those GPS strings looked something like this:
and the GPS was still connected (GPS flashing) and showing valid positions and reasopnable DOP  ("accuracy" varried from  9 to 40 feet)

SO...

1 - Can the GPS stuff and time stamps be shut off?  Scanning the TNC commands I see potentially interesting ones:  CONSTAMP, ECHO, MSTAMP

2 - Any idea why the NMEA was strange?

--
73, Steve, K9DCI