[aprssig] Its time for new Igates...

Keith VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Mon Sep 15 16:50:13 EDT 2008

Bob WB4APR wrote...

> The problem is, we need new IGate software that takes advantage of the
> New-N paradigm and better implements APRS messaging and acking.

In what way doesn't current software take advantage of "new-N" and not
implement APRS messaging and acking?

> 1) Few IGates do reverse-pathing for messaging as an IGate. The
> new-N paradigm assures that ALL packets are traceable, so reply
> messaging should work much better than it does now.

Fortunately, traffic gated by UI-View is traceable.

> 2) UI-View does not do many of the APRS techniques for improving
> ACK reliability so acking suffers significantly. UI-View does
> not do reply-acking which would also help

When did that change take place? Does that mean that UI-View will
suddenly stop gating ACKs to RF stations the way it always has? I just
ran a little test and sent a message via RF to a distant (out of range)
station. The local IGate (the other side of the house) gated it and the
destination station received the message and sent an ACK which I