[aprssig] Voice Repeater Frequency Objects

Bruce W. Martin aprs at almostanywhere.com
Tue Sep 16 19:03:58 EDT 2008

On Sep 16, 2008, at 11:59 AM, Robert Bruninga wrote:

>> .... There are thousands of trackers out there
>> that were there already before Kenwood came into
>> the scene.  At that time the trackers were
>> functioning according to spec. ...
>>
>> I think it is perfectly reasonable to expect a
>> firmware update of the Kenwoods that can find
>> the Tnnn anywhere in the comment.
>
> There is not a single tracker that places Tnnn "anywhere in the
> comment".  The only packets that contain Tnnn are the ones that
> are written there as part of the comment by the owner.  Or the
> D710 that writes it there automatically.  But this has no impact
> on what other trackers send.
>
> They can send whatever they want.  The issue was what XASTIR
> automatically inserts.  And it should not insert altitude
> /Axxxxxx unilaterally in front of other possibly formatted text
> of the sender which will be screwed up if the altitude is
> inserted first.  It should be inserted on the end of the packet
> as originally invisioned.

Invisioned or specified?

I recall that some time ago that Scott (N1VG) made a change in the OT1
firmware to put the altitude at the end of the packet. He changed it
back to an earlier position when people (including me) complained that
with altitude at the end, we could not see it on the D700 screen.

Here is an example from our last balloon flight.
Lat/Long,icon,course/speed/Altitude, voltage, Temperature, Sat. info,
Comment
NT4BG-11>APOT03,qAR,KI4HDU-2:/183430h3616.18N/08621.88WO242/020/
A=096039 08.7V 19C HDOP01.1 SATS10 TABEL octagon P2
I know this is not a repeater object but trackers don't do repeater
objects.

Or have I missed the point?

Bruce, KQ4TV

--