[aprssig] Its time for new Igates...

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Mon Sep 15 14:34:27 EDT 2008

> When I've tried messaging/email from remote
> locations via I-Gates, I can often get a
> message out, but can't receive replies because
> the I-Gates restrict the number of hops on a reply.

The problem is, we need new Igate software that takes advantage
of the New-N paradigm and better implements APRS messaging and
acking.

1) Few IGates do reverse-pathing for messaging as an Igate.  The
new-N paradigm assures that ALL packets are traceable, so reply
messaging should work much better than it does now.

2) Uiview does not do many of the APRS techniques for improving
ACK reliabiility so acking suffers significantly.  Uiview does
not do reply-acking which would also help

3) Most Igates do not allow for separate IS-to-RF paths separate
from the stations own RF path.  There should also be separate
paths for objects.

4) Also, there should be specific techniques for assuring that
the local IRLP and ECHOlink APRS objects get to RF in each Igate
area (and only 1 hop usually)...

5) Any other lessons leared?  I'm sure there is a wish list
somewhere?

Bob, WB4APR

> I've asked about this before, and the answer has been,
"contact the
> I-Gate op and have him tweak his settings for your call and
> location."
> That can certainly work, *if* I know in advance what I-Gates
> I will be
> able to reach and can actually contact the operator :)
>
> How are the I-Gates configured for messaging in NWAPRS land?
(didn't