[aprssig] APRS demo

Jeff N0JUH jefflists08 at corrt.com
Mon Sep 15 01:27:37 EDT 2008

Thanks Herb.  I've used both EMAIL and APRSLink.  But I am talking about
any kind of aprs message that goes through an Igate.

For example, I live two hops from the nearest Igate.  I tried and tried
exchanging aprs messages with another ham across the country.  He would
get my messages, and would reply - both messages would show up on findu
- but I would never receive the messages on my rig.

That's when I found out about the Igate settings.  There is apparently a
setting on most Igate software that says something like "only gate
messages from internet to rf for stations within N hops."  My Igate
operator had his set to the default of 1 hop - he increased it to 2 hops
on my request, and now I can send AND RECEIVE aprs messages from all
over the world.

So, that setting is really key for using aprs as a messaging tool from
remote locations.  Keith VE7GDH explains more of the technical details
on this in his reply to you.  It would be nice to have a tutorial on
that so IGate ops could optimize their settings.

   -- Jeff, N0JUH