[aprssig] APRS demo

Tim Cunningham tim_cunningham at charter.net
Mon Sep 15 02:08:41 EDT 2008

I did this at a club meeting while demonstrating a D-700 with camera and
projector several years ago. The camera and projector allowed all to see the
D-700 display on the big screen. A gentleman in the room offered his pager
address. The message was sent from the D-700 and his pager buzzed within
seconds.

It was very effective and there were many Wow's in the crowd.

It was almost effective as another night at the local EMA office. An
announcement came into the center that a weather bulletin was about to be
issued for the county. Within seconds of the buzzer, the APRS station in the
next room had the weather bulletin on its display. In fact, I tell people at
APRS Forums I present that they will get the weather bulletin on their APRS
station before their weather radio even begins to speak the message. When
the weather bulletin sounds my weather radio, I look at my APRS screen. The
data is on the screen before any words come from the weather radio
concerning the bulletin. This is a huge plus for mobile APRS information
displays. Since we live in tornado alley here in North Alabama, weather
information can be a critical piece of information for life and death
situations that can pop up faster than popcorn with little warning.

73's,
Tim - N8DEU