[aprssig] Kenwood TH-D7 GPS connector grounding

Alex Carver kf4lvz at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 14 10:46:26 EDT 2008

> Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2008 16:26:34 -0700
> From: Greg D.
> Subject: Re: [aprssig] Kenwood TH-D7 GPS connector
> grounding
> To: TAPR APRS Mailing List <aprssig at lists.tapr.org>
>
> Thanks for the link - I had briefly considered such a
> thing, but didn't realize that they were available in
> this small size.  However, I think I need to pass on them.
> The problem is that the input voltage range is going to be
> too great.  They appear to have two versions, one requiring
> 4.5 to 5.5 v, and the other 10.8 to 13.2v.  Neither matches
> what I have.

Take a look at some of the V78XX-1000 series non-isolated converters available from CUI.  They are three pin switching regulators designed to be drop-in replacements for the LM78XX series linear regulators.   The 5V unit has an input voltage range of 6. to 32 V with efficiencies ranging from 88% to 93%.  It's a bit thicker than a standard TO-220 case but doesn't require a heat sink.

http://www.cui.com/pdffiles/V78XX-1000%20Series.pdf