[aprssig] APRS demo

Joel Maslak jmaslak-aprs at antelope.net
Sun Sep 14 10:43:42 EDT 2008

On Sep 14, 2008, at 7:25 AM, Bob Bruninga wrote:

> Remind them we have had this capability for over 10 years... in ham
> radio why aren't we using it?

I can't speak for others, but I don't use it because I generally have
easier ways to send email - like the previously mentioned
blackberry.  It's easy to send multiline emails, I don't have to
worry about people being able to reply, I can tell when I look at the
main screen of the device that my email will go through, there is
delivery (to the Internet, anyhow) confirmation so I know it got sent
and received by the blackberry internet gateway, it has a keyboard
rather than a touch tone pad to enter characters, it has a full
address book, it has a better method of alerting me to email
received, if I am out of coverage it will queue the message (for
weeks if needed), etc.

Would I use APRS email in a pinch?  Sure.  But there are generally
easier ways of emailing on a routine basis.  And in a disaster, to be
honest, I have a lot more faith in the cell tower being working than
an igate - I know of very few IGates that are on anything more than a
desktop UPS power supply.

I *DO* see a use perhaps with an embedded device - when a telemetry
value gets out of range, send an email to whoever can do something
about it.