[aprssig] 144.39 mhz signal from my SONY 42" HDTV

Keith VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Wed Sep 10 11:13:00 EDT 2008

Kent KQ4KK  wrote...

> When our 42" SONY HDTV is on, it puts out a signal on 144.39...
> The TV is hooked to a cable box. The cable box can stay on, and not
> receive the interference on the APRS freq. It's only when the TV is
> on, that I get the interference...

Jack KB4XF already suggested "channel 18) video carrier is at 145.25.
Could you have a loose or leaking cable?" and Earl suggested ferrite
beads. I was going to suggest removing all cables going to the TV except
the power cable to see if the leaking 144.39 signal goes away.

I haven't gone looking for it, but with a Samsung 52" LED backlit HDTV.
I know, size matters, but the 57" was almost twice the money! I haven't
detected any interference on any frequencies that I commonly listen on,
including 144.390. This includes HF, 2 M and 70 cm. I understand there
is a relationship between Samsung and Sony, but I don't remember exactly
what it was... makes LCD displays for them? Makes TVs for them?

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH