[aprssig] FW: Montreal APRS Activity

Brian B. Riley brianbr at mac.com
Wed Sep 10 01:40:13 EDT 2008

The Montreal is probably one of  the best 'covered' extended regions
for APRS digipeater/iGate coverage. It has far more than 15 mobiles a
day. Many of them are only TinyTrak clones that were built  years ago,
still putting out NMEA sentences. I sit here about 70 miles away at
1600 feet and can monitor much of Montreal directly, my 700 and 710
LIST screens roll over in minutes during morning and evening drive
times and generally about every 30 minutes or less during the day.
There seems to be about 20 or so Montrealers who are active/moving all
day during the day. Over the last three years I have seen a good
number of these 'dumb trackers' getting replaced by D7's and D700's.

A good number of these guys were of the old 'set em and forget em'
mentality, so the new paradigm and other initiatives were slow coming.
However, thanks to the nearly constant efforts of a half dozen or so
guys it has all come around.

   cheers ... 73 de n1bq