[aprssig] FW: Montreal APRS Activity

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Tue Sep 9 19:33:05 EDT 2008

Ah, another  Tracker-City...
This report sent to me from Canada...

> I am vacationing ...[near montreal].. With my D710...
> On my AVMAP-G5 map... I am amazed at the number
> of APRS mobiles... in Montreal, an average of 15
> on any one day.  ; In... Philadelphia I never see
> this many mobiles...>
>
> I have been here for 10 days and have tried numerous
> APRS stations to engage in a text message conversation
> to no avail.  I get good ... acks for messages sent....
> It is like they setup the APRS station then walk away...
> [not even any... Voice Alert setups...

Shows how far APRS Tracker mentality has gotten APRS away from
the tactical real-time communiations between humans.  Everyone
needs to get APRS back on track or it will die of boredom:

1) Put your mobile on Voice Alert (VA) and monitor...
2) Chat with other APRS users when heard direct on VA
3) Include your Voice Freq in your packets
4) Make sure all digis are putting out their Voice Freqs

See www.aprs/localinfo.html

Lets communicate (2-way)... That is what Ham radio is all about
and it is the only way to get more people incvolved in APRS...
That is, have something to help them communiate, anywhere,
anytime...

See what your own beacon looks like to other mobiles on the
oaprs web page.  It shows a D7 screen on the left side.

See www.oaprs.net

Bob, Wb4APR