[aprssig] (Slightly OT) What is solar panel power output?

bob evinger wd9eka at evinger.com
Tue Sep 9 22:41:05 EDT 2008

Its been ages since I got deep into the theory. I think bob
bruninga gave the better theoretical description. I was going off of what
I remembered and the fact that I think after you breach that "knee" it is
relative constant current.

I hang out with a lot of non-ham's on a 12 volt alternative energy list on
one of the yahoo groups. A large percentage of the guys/gals there run
full time off grid, I'm not quite there yet but inching closer.  I could
run my place off grid if I had to with a little pain for the kids :)
I need to triple or more my battery capacity. The panel increase in the
spring I now only have about 1 days reasonable reserve in the
batteries for what I draw off them. I'm a number cruncher, I read my
commercial kwh meter every day, record my solar generation everyday that I
am here. Have the solar numbers going back almost 10 years now in a
database with my solarpower webpage getting updated when I update the
database grouped by month. So I can go back for the last 10 years and see
my monthly totals/average/min/max ah production. Its good for comparing
year to year. though I made a few jumps in power level over the  years.

Since the upgrade I have been averaging between 3 and 5kwh/day for the
summer. ALl the ham gear sits on it full time but if things became
critical the aprs igate and weather station would get shutdown for the
important stuff. Fridge/freezer/lights.

anybody wanting a picture of my rats nest can go to
http://solarpower.evinger.com  there are some relatively recent pics of
the power shed, panels and wind generator. I also have a webcam on my
bogart battery monitor which stays reasonably up to date. That shows goes
into/goes outa current in the batteries.

bob E.
marshall, IL