[aprssig] aprssig Digest, Vol 51, Issue 5

Dave Skolnick dskolnick at gmail.com
Thu Sep 4 08:18:19 EDT 2008

> Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2008 07:49:47 -0400
> From: "Ron Wenig" <rwenig at verizon.net>
> Subject: Re: [aprssig] K3TAL-10 location

> K3TAL-10 is a Winlink RMS Packet Gateway.  The object is created by the
> Winlink system to alert Hams in the area of the gateway.  The design is to
> not pin-point the exact location of the station just the zone, in this case
> FM19TA, so that Hams close by can use the gateway to send email via RF.  I
> guess people sailing the Chesapeake may have a need to send email :-)

Ah. Light dawns. Thanks Ron. I'm not sure why there isn't a benefit to
showing the exact location together with height, power, gain, etc.

It is a little irritating that is shows up where it does, since it
conflicts with AIS information right in the main shipping channel
through the center span of the bridge. Since I can only fit under the
center span (tall mast) and monitor AIS on a consolidated display
screen with APRS K3TAL often gives me a start.

Oops - I just noticed it seems to be an Internet-only position, and
not over-the-air. That's quite reasonable.

I'll just have to move the AIS display to my radar/chart-plotter
(where it really belongs) and off the laptop.

Again I appreciate the insight.

73 es sail fast, dave / KO4MI
S/V Auspicious (KO4MI-5)