[aprssig] [SPAM] Re: Messaging on the NUVI GPS

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Wed Sep 3 14:19:59 EDT 2008

Kai Gunter Brandt wrote:

> Are you using the 2.5mm jack connector for this?
> If yes is it possible to use the "PS2" jack from the TNC on the 710 so
> that you can use the NUVI to send messages?

RE the "PS/2" jack a.k.a. 6-pin Mini-DIN      NO!

Like all radios featuring the 6-pin Mini-DIN "packet" or "data"
connector, this jack IS NOT connected to the TNC and DOES NOT carry any
data.  It is merely an AUDIO connection carrying two forms of RX audio,
TX audio, push-to-talk TX keying and RX squelch indicator.   To use this
connector to receive or send packet data, you must connect some sort of
external TNC (Tracker 2, KPC3, TinyTrak4, or PC soundcard interface) to
this jack.

Details on this connector are on my website at:

     *http://wa8lmf.net/miscinfo*

Scroll down the list of downloadable files and documents and locate

     *MiniDIN6-Packet.pdf  *

for complete details and pinout of this connector.